Thursday, November 4, 2010

Tattoo Time?

I am thinking of getting my first tattoo.  This is what I have had my mind set on for over a year now.  I was thinking of having it tattooed on my right hip.
My best friend in the whole wide universe, Heather (my cousin), approached me about getting tattoos together.  At first I said no, not to her astonishment, because I am not keen on the whole "permanent" thing.  After much deliberation I sent her an email with a picture of a tattoo possibility, an ambigram.  An ambigram is a typographical design that may be read as one or more words.  The one we liked was "Sisters/Forever". 
 
While looking for tattoo inspiration I came across white ink and UV ink tattoos.  They caught my attention because they are far less noticeable then regular ink tattoos.
There are downsides to both types of tattoos.  UV ink is fairly new and hasn't been around long enough to know if there are any long term effects.  White ink tattoos have a tendency to fade quickly and need an experienced artist to do them.  If the artist touches the stencil it'll mix the white ink and the stencil ink causing the tattoo to be a greenish blue/grey color instead of the expected white color.  So I am still undecided on the white tattoo idea.

I also stumbled across these pretty tattoos.  I love how feminine and beautiful they are, I am now contemplating on getting one of these tattoos. 
A dandelion with blowing seedlings and lyrics or a quote.

Dandelion with blowing seedlings that turn into birds.

2 small birds.  Simple, dainty and easy to cover up.
I am not sure what to do now.  I love the dandelion tattoos but I want my tattoo to be easy to cover up.  I wear A LOT of tube top style shirts and dresses year round and bathing suits are not an issue since I tend to keep a shirt on.

My biggest fear is that it'll look super fly for maybe 10 years then slowly morph into a hideous blob of black ink on my future body. 

Does anyone have a tattoo(s) that they regret?  Do the rib cage tattoos hurt?  Are the dandelion tattoos above considered a 'tramp stamp' because they are on the lower back?  Any words of advice?